I. The following sentences are from your lesson. Read them carefully and tick ( ) the correct meaning of the underlined word.
- His parents were keen to send him abroad for higher studies.
(a) particular (b) eager (c) worried
- The world hailed the discovery as the ‘Raman Effect’.
(a) admired (b) called (c) thought
- In his youth Raman was mainly interested in acoustics.
(a) primarily (b) simply (c) certainly
- The British made Raman a knight of the British Empire.
(a) appointed (b) managed (c) placed
- Raman passed away on November 21, 1970.
(a) was killed (b) died (c) left
II. Read the following sentence.
Raman was equally delighted.
The underlined word ‘delighted’ is a verb and has been used to express a feeling of joy or happiness. Its noun form is ‘delight.’ Now look at the following verbs and write their corresponding noun forms.
S.No. Verb Noun and the feeling expressed
- enjoyed enjoyment
- surprised ____________________________
- disappointed ____________________________
- worried ____________________________
- satisfied ____________________________
Now fill in the blanks with suitable noun forms of the underlined words in each sentence.
- He was shocked to see a snake in his room but he recovered from his _________________ in no time.
- He pretended to look relieved but, in fact, he did not have any ____________ .
- I can understand your ___________. But do not be so excited that you have health problems.
- Raju, an auto driver, was very honest. His ___________________ was known to everybody when he returned the bag of jewellery a passenger had left in his auto.
III. (1) Read the following sentence and notice the underlined part.
Raman stayed in the country to do the M.A. course.
The underlined letters in capitals denote an abbreviation. The full form of this abbreviation is ‘Master of Arts’.
Here is a list of some common abbreviations. Write their full forms.
Abbreviation Full form
(2) Read the following sentence and notice the underlined word.
He used to spend his hours after office in the lab.
The underlined word “lab is the short form of laboratory.”
Look at the following list of short forms and write their full forms. The first one is done for you. (Use a dictionary)
Short form of the word Full form of the word
plane aero plane
IV. In paragraph 4 you have learnt that ‘optics’ is the study of light. Do you know the word for the study of living beings? It is ‘biology’. It comes from ‘bio’ (means ‘life’) + ‘logus’ / ‘ology’ (means ‘study or science’). So the suffix ‘-logy’ adds the meaning ‘the study of’.
Guess the meaning of the words under Column A and match them with the phrases under Column B.
Match the following sciences with their corresponding objects of study.
- Archaeology ( ) (a) the study of the mind
- Physiology ( ) (b) the study of animals
- Psychology ( ) (c) the study of earth
- Geology ( ) (d) the study of the cultures of the past
- Zoology ( ) (e) the study of the bodies of living things.