- Find the antonyms of the following words from the text and write them in your notebooks. Also, write one sentence each for the word and its antonym.
impossible suddenly ugly bright tasteless
dim above hostile cloudy notorious
- Read the following sentences and notice how the word ‘wave’ has been used differently:
- My sister Amala and I too waved our hands while Mom and Dad smiled at us.
- Silky sands, foaming waves and cool breeze of the sea attracted us very much.
In Sentence 1 ‘wave’ is used as a verb in the past tense and in Sentence 2, it is used as a noun in its plural form. As a verb, it means ‘to move hand or arm from side to side’ and as a noun, it refers to ‘raised lines of water that move across the surface of the sea or ocean.’
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate forms of the words given in the brackets.
They can be used both as nouns and verbs.
- Our School’s volleyball team _______ four matches. The fourth day ________ was excellent. (play)
- Latha is ________ a lot of problems. I am sorry to see tears on her lovely _______. (face)
- My grand-daughter said, “Grandpa, you look very sweet when I see a____on your face.” On hearing this Grandpa _____at once (smile)
- Suresh __________ that he would pass the examination. But his…. disappeared when he saw the question paper. (hope)
- When I answered a question correctly, the English teacher _______ me on my back and said, “Well done, Smarty.” Her _______ made me feel very happy and proud. (pat)
- Read the following sentences from the passage.
- The ship set out after sounding a loud horn.
- People who came to see off their friends and relatives cheered them up by waving their hands.
The set of words underlined are ‘phrasal verbs’.
Pick out from a dictionary more phrasal verbs beginning with the words ‘set’, find out their meanings, and use them in sentences of your own .