Phrases, Noun Phrase and Noun Phrase Apposition
I. Look at the following sentences from the text and observe the underlined part in each sentence.
She saw a bald, fat, middle – aged man.
Which word in the underlined part is important ?
The underlined part in the above sentence has more than one word. It is called a phrase.
The underlined part ‘a bald, fat middle – aged man’ functions as a Noun Phrase.
Here the word ‘man’ is important and all other words add more information to that word. So it is called a Noun Phrase.
a bald fat middle-aged man
article adj adj adj noun
Identify some more noun phrases from the story and write them below.
1)________________ 2) ___________________ 3) _____________________
Complete the sentences with noun phrases using the words given in brackets.
1. I bought _______________________________ (beautiful/a/umbrella/red).
2. We saw _______________________________ in the zoo. (baby/a/elephants/of/couple).
3. Our grand father lives in ____________________________ (big/house/a/stone-built).
4. Ramya has ___________________________________ (nice/a/sari/silk).
Noun Phrase in Apposition.
Look at the following sentences and observe the underlined part in each sentence.
1. Kamala, her eldest daughter, a widow, got up reluctantly.
2. Don’t you remember Vimala, District Collector Nambiar’s eldest daughter?
The underlined part in the above sentences refers to the noun that occurs before it, the underlined parts are called Noun phrase in Apposition.
Rewrite the following sentences using Noun Phrase in Apposition.
1. Mahesh is my elder brother. He lives in Delhi.
Mahesh, __________________________________________, lives in Delhi.
2. Sarojini Naidu is popularly known as the Nightingale of India. She wrote many poems in English.
Sarojini Naidu, ________________________________________, wrote many poems in English.
3. Rabindranath Tagore is called Gurudev. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in 1913.
Rabindranath Tagore, ________________, was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in 1913.
4. Mount Everest is the highest peak in the world. It is located in Nepal
Mount Everest, _______________________________________, is located in Nepal.