I. Look at the following underlined phrase taken from the text and know the meanings.
1. Peach-trees that in the spring time broke out into delicate blossom.
In the above sentence, the phrase ‘broke out’ means ‘to come out with delicate blossoms’.
A) Refer to a dictionary and find out the phrasal verbs beginning with‘break’.
Use them in your own sentences.
B) Pick out some more phrasal verbs from the play ‘The Selfish Giant’.
II. Read the underlined part of the sentence taken from the text.
This is a delightful spot.
In the above sentence ‘delightful’ means ‘pleasant’, the opposite (antonym) of it
Pick out antonyms of the underlined words from the play and use them in your own sentences.
1. Nobody likes to be in hell.
2. You should beware of your foe.
3. It started raining cats and dogs.
4. She uncovered her head after she came out of the temple.
5. This is the nearest shop to my house.
III. Look at the following sentence taken from the text.
Ex: I heard the children whispering outside the wall on their way to school.
In the above sentence the underlined word indicates the children ‘speaking quietly’ outside the wall so that nobody else could hear.
Now match the words in column A with those in column B with similar meaning.
- screaming A. continuous loud noise
- whisper B. many people speaking at the time
- yell C. give a loud cry
- roaring D. a long deep sound
- groan E. speak quietly
- weep F. a loud high shout
- shriek G. shout loudly
- babble H. continuous short sounds
- wail I. soft quiet voice difficult to hear
- Twitter J. cry
IV. Choose the correct meaning for the underlined word.
- The Giant put a notice board, trespassers will be prosecuted [ ]
a) someone who enters a premises without permission
b) someone who forcibly enters a premises
c) someone who officially enters a premises
- The Giant was wrapped in furs and roared all day about the garden. [ ]
a) made loud noise with anger
b) felt frustrated
c) looked pleased
- There are twelve peach-trees that in spring-time broke out into delicate blossoms.[ ]
a) leaves b) flowers c) fruits
- He rattled on the roof the whole day. [ ]
a) made series of sounds b) shouted c) tapped