weary (adj) : tired and lost all the strength
meadows (n) : land that is covered with grass
merely (adv) : only
sorely (adv) : in a painful manner
drooping (adj) : hanging downward
pale (adj) : not bright/ light in colour
Answer the following questions.
1. What kind of places are the children working in?
2. ‘The reddest flower would look as pale as snow.’ What does the phrase ‘reddest flower’ refer to? Why does it become pale?
3. How does the work affect the children?
4. Do children enjoy their lives when engaged in work?
*5. If the poem were written from the point of view of a factory owner, what kind of things would he say about children?
6. What is the poet’s attitude towards child labour? Pick out the words / expressions that reveal her attitude.