I. Fill in the blanks with the most appropriate words from the box.
Remember, the box has some extra words.
irritation huddled awkwardly futile
vacation reluctantly exasperatedly mumbling
1. All my attempts to make him happy proved ___________.
2. It was very cold. So, I ___________ in a corner.
3. Forced by her parents, Sita _______________ took the diploma course.
4. What are you ____________________? I can’t hear you.
5. The news that he was denied promotion caused _______________ to him.
II. Tick ( ) the words that are similar in meaning to the underlined words.
1. His mother made a futile attempt to get up.
a. barren b. limited c. useless d. empty
2. It’s all tattered now.
a. spoiled b. old c. dirty d. torn
3. There is a cold mist in the mornings.
a. ice b. snow c. fog d. win
4. It’s just like a ball of knotted yarn.
a. very small b. rounded tightly c. joined d. tied.
5. I can’t make both ends meet with my salary.
a. earn a lot of money b. spend a lot of money
c. earn just enough money d. give all that one has