I. In the story 'The Journey' the author says "…. my education had made me shun physical labour". This is an adverse effect of education. Now write an essay on 'The Adverse Effects of Education'. Here are some points:
• doing a work that involves physical labour
• dress / fashion
• family relationships
• giving respect to elders
• the treatment of illiterate people
A few guidelines and tips to summarize a text are given below. Read them carefully. Then read the essay 'On Umbrella Morals' and summarize it.
Guidelines and tips to summarize a text
To summarize is to condense a text to its main points and to do so in your own words. To include every detail is neither necessary nor desirable. In order to write a good summary, you may have to gather minor points or components of an argument from different places in the text in order to summarize the text in an organized way. A point made in the beginning of an essay and then one made toward the end may need to be grouped together in your summary to concisely convey the argument that the author is making.
Here are a few key points:
- Read the article carefully - as many times as you require!
- Begin your summary by mentioning the author and title. The publication and date may also be mentioned.
- Summarize in your own words in third person using simple present tense.
- Use transition words (however, moreover, then, also, etc.).
- Avoid unnecessary details and direct quotes.
- Don't give your own opinion.
- Keep it within the word limit given or one third of the original text.
- Prefer short and simple sentences.
- Be consistent with the tense
- Check for grammar and punctuation errors.