I. Fill in the blanks with suitable words often confused given in brackets.
- Samsuddin helped me earn my first __________( wages / income).
- He received a proportion of his______________( wage/ income ) from selling tamarind seeds.
- He is _____________(innocent / ignorant) about technology.
- However he was found___________________( innocent/ ignorant)of any crime.
- He_______________(inherited / acquired) a bad reputation for dishonesty but he ________________(inherited / acquired) honesty and self discipline from his father .
- People from different backgrounds could _____________( mix/ mingle)easily. ____________________( mixed/mingled) group people do not come to an agreement.
- People in Rameshwaram were very______________( rigid/ adamant) in terms of segregation of different social groups . Subramania Iyer ______________(rigidly/ adamantly) opposed it.
- The car collided with a _________________( stationary/ stationery). We went to buy some ________________ from the book stall.
- She was _____________ ( envelop/ envelope) in a huge white towel.
- We sent an airmail _______________( envelop/ envelope) abroad.
- The floor was ________________(laid/ lied) with a newspaper.
- He _________________(laid/ lied) many times.
II. Tick (..........) the appropriate meaning of the underlined word in each sentence below.
- Kalam's father possessed great innate wisdom and a true generosity of spirit.
a. hospitality b) nobility c) kindness
- A sudden demand for tamarind seeds erupted in the market.
a. started b) came up c) appeared suddenly
- Our family arranged boats for carrying idols of the Lord from the temple to the marriage site, situated in the middle of the pond.
a. place b) ceremony c) feast
- The new teacher could not stomach a Hindu priest's son sitting with a Muslim boy.
a. imagine b)permit c)tolerate
- He looked utterly downcast as I shifted to my seat in the last row.
a. onely b) sad c) disappointed
- Sastry bluntly asked the teacher to either apologise or quit the school.
a. immediately b) angrily c) plainly
- The small society of Rameswaram wa very rigid in terms of the segregation of different social groups.
a. strict b)firm c) strong
- Sivasubramania Iyer was not perturbed, nor did he get angry with his wife.
a. disturbed b) disappointed c) pleased
- India's freedom was imminent.
a. expected b) necessary c) certain